Plaatje

Plaatje

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Day 64: Baker City, OR - Mount Vernon, OR (131/150)

As I was rather tired yesterday I slept like a baby last night. Therefore I did need a good waking up, so first stop after setting off was a stop at a gas station for coffee and donuts. Today has three consecutive climbs in store for me, each about 1000 ft up and steep. Before lunch the weather was still cool and I finished the first two.

After the second climb I figured I deserved a decent lunch, so I got a club sandwich and fries at the Oregon certified 'bicycle friendly' restaurant at Austin junction. It had gotten warmer for the third climb, though not near as warm as the last few days, but as it was a little less steep, it still wasn't that hard.

After the third climb there was a descent into the John Day valley. During the third climb I had gotten rather warm, so in the first town, Prairie City, it took me almost an hour in the shade and a liter of cold coke to get cooled down and continue. The last 25 miles through the valley were easy. In John Day I shortly stopped at an optician to get my new glasses fitting better. Eventually I reache d Mount Vernon.

In Mount Vernon is a place called the Bike Inn. It is building next to someone's private house and is by far the most luxurious bicycle hostel I've seen this far. It has everything a cyclist could wish for: shower, kitchen, living room, bedroom with made up bed, outside bicycle stand for easy maintenance and....  a TV with a good old VHS player. I settled in and took a shower and later met Christy, the awesome person who is managing the Bike Inn. During the evening I watched a classic (After rewinding the tape off course...): The Empire Strikes Back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment