Plaatje

Plaatje

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Day 65: Mount Vernon, OR - Mitchell, OR (134/150)

Today's first bit was an easy, slightly downhill and with tailwind, ride into Dayville. Some miles later I entered the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. Here I rode through Picture Gorge, a gorge created by multiple layers of lava rock and whose vertical faces were used in prehistoric times to draw pictures on. Very impressive sight!

I decided to visit the fossil beds visitor center, two miles off the route. There I watched a movie about the site and saw an impressive exhibit of some of the fossils found there. Outside I had a look at the colorful, layered geological structures of this area, truly beautiful!

Then followed a long ride, slightly climbing towards Keyes Creek Summit. As usual the afternoon was getting hot, especially in the lava rock canyons. Later some good old headwind picked up. After the summit followed a short and windy descent towards the town Mitchell. Here I'm staying in the city park. Later in the evening a group of deer joined me in the park, who didn't seem to mind my presence at all and where happily trimming the lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment