Plaatje

Plaatje

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Day 66: Mitchell, OR - Sisters, OR (137/150)

First thing this morning was a ride up Ochoco Pass, the 2nd to last pass of this trip. During the ride up I saw a lot of burned forest. Yesterday I learned from two cyclists staying in the hotel in Mitchell that not even a week ago there were forest fires along this pass, blocking the road... good timing I guess :)

After the summit the all day battle against the headwind started. From Prineville untill Sisters I took a detour from the original route, which was suggested to me by my WarmShowers host of today, Jim. The detour led over much less busy roads and along the Smith Rock State Park. There I did a very short hike along some of the outlook spots... really cool rock structures, which are supposedly visited by climbers from all over the world.

From Prineville on the snow covered peaks of the Cascade Range, the last big hurdle to take before reaching the pacific started showing in the background. The detour was a bit longer than expected and the wind had picked up during the afternoon, so a little later than expected I reached my hosts for tonight in Sisters, Jim and Jill.

After a shower I was treated to a wicked banana and chocolate smoothie :) I could even borrow their car to ride into town to get dinner and so some groceries, awesome! Jim brews his own beer, so when I got back he showed me all the equipment and ingredients he uses for that. Shortly after I'm back from holiday I'm gonna try to brew beer with some friends as well, so the information was very welcome! For the remainder of the evening I sat on the porch together with Jim and Will, enjoying Jim's home brewn beer and home made peach sorbet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment