Plaatje

Plaatje

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Day 69: Independence, OR - Pacific City, OR (146/150)

Today I'm gonna reach the Pacific, yay! Unfortunately most of the ride today was along highways with very heavy traffic. As today is saturday and this is one of the main routes towards the Oregon coast, one cannot be really surprised.

Just before hitting the coast the route turned away from the highway and led over a steep climb through a national forest. Very pretty and much nicer riding than those highways.

At Neskowin I reached the coast and got of the bike to get my feet in the water and take the necessary pictures. It's always hard to predict how you'll feel at the end of such a big trip (technically this isn't really the end, but it's the most symbolic end point). I felt mostly proud and happy, proud to have pulled this off by myself and happy to get towards the end and soon being able to see all my friends and family back home, even to get to work again...

From Neskowin I rode a little further along the very windy coast road to Pacific City. As I reached the campground the sign said it was full, but the camp host managed to find a small spot where I could fit and charged a reduced rate for that :). The Californians that I met in Idaho had told me I had to visit the Pelican Pub and Brewery, so that was where I was headed. There I treated myself to a nice seafood dinner with some special locally brewed beers. I realized that I was gonna miss the sunset on the patio of the restaurant, so I actually had to hurry to get on the other side of Cape Kiwanda. There I watched a perfect sunset and was simply comletely happy :-D

1 comment:

  1. Proficiat Wouter, je hebt het gehaald! Je mag met recht trots op jezelf zijn. Maak ook van de komende dagen nog iets moois. Groetjes, Riek

    ReplyDelete