Plaatje

Plaatje

Monday, August 11, 2014

Day 71: Nehalem Bay State Park, OR - Fort Stevens State Park, OR (149/150)

Since the weekend was over, the traffic on the coastal highway was luckily much lighter. The road was again a succession of steep climbs and descents. It was a rather foggy morning today, which gave some nice views  over the coast. After a short I reached Seaside where the route led over the promenade and I stopped for coffee.
After Seaside instead of heading straight for Astoria (the endpoint of the Trans America Trail), I headed for Fort Stevens State Park, the most northwesterly point of Oregon and a recommendation from Curt and Barbara. 

Early in the afternoon I reached the campground, which again had a perfect hiker/biker area. First thing after pitching my tent and having a shower was to head into town to do some (long overdue) laundry.

The remainder of the afternoon I spent doing some sightseeing. Using the  beautiful bike trails that led directly from the campground, I visited the historic military fort and a shipwreck on the beach. During the evening it got more and more foggy and thereby also chilly, so I had a meal and turned in early.

No comments:

Post a Comment