Plaatje

Plaatje

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Day 5: Ashland, VA - Palmyra, VA (5/150)

Unfortunately the Blogger app is working pretty crappy, so posts don't always come online directly :(

This morning I woke up late since the campsite served breakfast with waffles, juice and coffee, but only at 8:30. After breakfast I said goodbye to Phil, Elliott and Alex and set off. The weather today was about as warm as yesterday (high 20s, Celcius) but now completely sunny, hence in the sun it was very warm. Drinking a lot and taking regular brakes helped me cope with the heat unexpectedly well. In the end I still managed to do 80 miles today.

The scenery is changing rapidly, whereas yesterday was mainly tall trees, swamp, rivers and creeks, today was more farms, fields and rolling hills (comparable to Northern France). In addition I'm getting closer to the Appalachian Mountains so there was a lot more climbing today (still only 3000ft).

A not so funny thing was an encounter with 2 dogs running along my bike barking loudly. As I'm no dog person I couldn't tell whether they were happy or angry dogs. Apparently I will encounter the angry kind a lot more in Kentucky and Missouri, so I'll just have to get used to it.

Mineral had a campsite on the map, but again I was there early so I continued. I stopped in Ashland which had nothing on the map and luckily found a church building with a sign saying cyclists welcome. The only thing was that the church had moved. I rode to the new location and found a single guy working on the building. Appartly the head of the church, Steve, is a cyclist and wanted to offer showers and such to passing cross country cyclists... the only thing was that the building was't ready yet. The guy did give me water, biscuits and a place to pitch my tent. Later Steve dropped by and gave me all night access to their office building including restroom, power outlets, biscuits and Gatorade :) Amazingly friendly people here !

No comments:

Post a Comment