Plaatje

Plaatje

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Day 20: Sebree, KY - Tunnel Hill, IL (34/150)

The plan today was to ride my first century in order to make some good progress and arrive at people found on WarmShowers. A part of the route this morning lead through Amish country. I did not get to see that much of it really, just a single guy with a beard sitting on an ancient lawn mower pulled by two horses, who was friendly waving towards me. After that I soon arrived at the ferry that would bring me across the Ohio river from Kentucky into Illinois. 

Across the river is the little town Cave In Rock, named after, indeed... a cave in a rock. Bob told me yesterday that this cave was historically used by pirates to harass the settlers as they were coming down the Ohio river and was definitely something I should see. After visiting the cave and having lunch I quickly set out again as there were lots of miles to cover today. 

The afternoon heat made riding really tough today and even small climbs were a challenge, since I got really hot really quick. What helped is that the bike route signs have reappeared, after vanashing somewhere in Eastern Kentucky. Today I'm staying in a very little town called Tunnel Hill with Ann and Alan. After a steep climb on a gravel road I easily found their place and was welcomed by Ann. After a refreshing shower we had steak, broccoli and potatoes for dinner and some very welcome fruit for dessert. During the evening I could even catch up on some of last season's Game Of Thrones episodes :) Again the hospitality which I encountered was awesome! 

The clock finally stopped at 110 miles, the longest ride (by far) until now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment