Plaatje

Plaatje

Friday, June 27, 2014

Day 25: Marchfield, MO - Golden City, MO (49/150)

My last day in the Ozark Mountains and my last full day of cycling in Missouri had a bumpy start. First off the water in one of my bottles tasted sulphury, so I couldn't use it for the first bit and in addition when I tried to spray away a charging dog I got pepper spray all over my hands and partly on my clothes (luckily not in my eyes). After washing up with the smelly water I loaded up on some water, coke and sweet junk food at the first stop and all was good again :)

The Ozarks didn't let me go easily... climbing felt harder than yesterday with steeper climbs. The weather again was great though. Towards the end of the day the hills rather suddenly made room for a much flatter landscape, the typical landscape that I'm expecting for Kansas. I'm riding now on a sort of mile by mile grid, with farming roads every mile and normal roads every 5 miles or so. Roads for the coming time will therefore be dead straight either in northbound or westbound direction. As the wind from the south had picked up during the afternoon, cycling the northbound bits was very good fun !

Tonight I'm staying at the City Park in Golden City. Shortly after arriving the major stopped by and welcomed me and showed me where the restrooms and showers were. After that April, a lady living next to the park, welcomed me and left a logbook for me to sign. As she only started keeping the logbook this year, I was only the eight person writing in it. Somewhat later it got quite busy in the park as the local school team was playing a baseball match, so I decided to go have dinner at Cooky's Cafe, a place that April and also John, Melissa, Kevin, Faye and Linda recommended back in day 14 of this trip. The dinner was good and as the place is famous for their pies, I tried a slice of blueberry pie, which was delicious for dessert and off course signed their logbook as well. Back in the park I pitched my tent and turned in as soon as the baseball matches ended.




1 comment: