Plaatje

Plaatje

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day 1-3: Travelling and Yorktown, VA - Williamsburg, VA (0/150)

Monday I finally set out for my 11 weeks biking adventure. After boxing my bike together with my parents we drove to Schiphol airport. The flight itself was pretty uneventful other than the fact that hauling around an almost 2 m2 bike box is pretty cumbersome. From the airport it was another 2.5 hours drive to my hotel in Williamsburg.

Tuesday morning I openend the bike box to see if it survived the trip... luckily it did :) After assembling my bike and returning the rental car it was time to make the 1st bike kilometers here in the US. First stop was Yorktown, which is the official start of the Trans America Trail. There I dipped my feet in the York river, which counts as the Atlantic ocean for me. As far as oceans go for this trip it is one down, one to go! From Yorktown I biked the first few kilometers of the Trans America Trail towards Williamsburg along the Colonial Parkway, which was extremely nice to bike.

First impressions: The weather here is pretty great at the moment, it's sunny with a temperature high in the 20 degrees Celcius. The roads thus far are ok, the Colonial Parkway was super and before that I even found a dedicated bike path. Other bits were along large avenues, but due to wide shoulders (+2.5m) cycling was still ok. Cars thus far have been very considerate towards cyclists.

I also got a US number, which means I will be able to post regularly here, but also that my Dutch number will be offline during the trip. Today I will be getting some final supplies and tomorrow the real cycling starts... I cannot wait!

1 comment: