Plaatje

Plaatje

Friday, June 6, 2014

Day 4: Williamsburg, VA - Ashland, VA (3/150)

Also, jetzt geht's los! It was a great feeling leaving the hotel in Williamsburg behind and finally setting out on this huge journey. From now on almost every day should get me closer to my trip goal. The numbers in the title from now on show the progress I'm making. In total there are 150 small maps that need to be finished (in order to get to the other side). The number above shows how much of these have been completed.

The cycling over the Colonial Highway and Capital Trail (partly no cars!) was extremely nice. I planned to stay in a church (which a lot of TAT cyclists visit), but as I already arrived there at 1PM it more sense to continue and get a little further on the first day. After the church the cycling was along normal roads with little to no shoulder and occasionally quite busy. Guess this is the kind of roads that I have to get used to during this trip.

The progress was soo good that I actually forgot to take photos along the way, either via my camera or using my phone for this blog. The reason is that I liked the feeling of miles flying by so much, that I hardly wanted to stop cycling, eventually I only stopped 20min for lunch. I'll try to improve on making more pictures the coming time...

I finally stopped at an RV campsite. Not really a campsite that matches the character of this trip, but it was extremely convenient to have a shower a washing machine and even WiFi at hand. In addition I met 3 Americans on the campsite who were 2 days into their cross country cycling trip. They are cycling towards San Diego by taking the first part of the Trans America Trail and then veering south. They had no cycling whatsoever and it was great to see how they were facing all the challenges they had and inevitably would have head on. They invited me for dinner and introduced me to the all-American mac and cheese... I like! Afterwards they even served some veggies. We had a good evening!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty. Cheese counts as vegetables right? Mabey that's what gave Lance the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briljant, klinkt als een super start. Op weg naar de eerste bbq, zeg ik.

    ReplyDelete