Plaatje

Plaatje

Friday, June 20, 2014

Day 19: McDaniels, KY - Sebree, KY (31/150)

The plan for today was the same as yesterday, make a lot of miles. The first bit of the route led me over a dam, which created the lake I was camping next to last night. The day started with clear skies and temperatures slightly less than yesterday. For lunch I stopped at a small town called Utica, where the lady of the local market pointed me to the cyclists hostel in a fire department across the street. I decided however to go for the next cyclists hostel in Sebree. 

After lunch dark clouds and showers came in. I was only caught by a small shower which was more refreshing than annoying really. In the afternoon also the headwind picked up which in combination with the rolling landscape made me work hard for the miles. For reference, though the landscape here is very flat compared to the Appalachians, it is still not nearly as flat as back home in The Netherlands. Today it was reasonably flat, but still included more than 3000ft of climbing. 

When I arrived in Sebree I was recognized by a passing car after which the driver asked me if I was looking for the Baptist Church hostel. He guided me the way to the hostel where I was welcomed by Bob and Violet. Bob showed me around the place. Apparently Colton, who I met a few days ago, is also staying here tonight. The place here is really awesome! There is a living room with TV, soccer table, pingpong table and kitchen. Next to that I have my own room including mattress, and we can use the showers, washing machine and dryer. Bob told me about interesting places along the route for tomorrow and showed me the maps they have here showing where all passing cyclists are from. It appears I'm the second Dutch cyclist staying here this year (but not the first one ever living in The Hague). After taking a shower I went into town to have dinner. The local pizza joint looked more like a living room, but the pizza tasted good. I did make the mistake to forget that medium is interpreted differently in the US and in The Netherlands. In addition they like to 'cheese up' the pizzas here, so I didn't manage to finish more than half of the pizza.

2 comments:

  1. Ziet er lekker uit, die pizza. Ook nog een groot scherm beschikbaar om Nederland te zien voetballen? En heb je je zadel nog kunnen /moeten fixed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voetbal kijken ga ik ws doen vanaf halve finales... tijdens finale plan ik bij vriendje in Boulder te zijn, dus die ga ik sowieso kijken :)

    Zadel was uiteindelijk niet zoveel mis mee, wat creme voor de billetjes deed wonderen!

    ReplyDelete