Plaatje

Plaatje

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day 15: Berea, KY - Licoln Homestead State Park, KY (25/150)

After getting up this morning Lilly (one of the daughters of Andy and Paige) made me scrambled egges for breakfast. After throwing some of my clothes in the dryer, Paige drove me back to Berea, so that I could continue my route. After hugging them goodbye I set off again. For the first miles I just couldn't wipe the smile off my face, simply being so happy that the people that I encounter here are so extremely helpful and friendly!

I decided to take a little detour from the route to reach Danville, where I planned to stop by a bike shop to get something for my saddle soreness. Cycling into Danville the terrain had become completely different than the last few days. The Appalachians are now behind and provide a nice decor as I'm riding through some beautiful rolling farmlands. It is warm though, even warmer that the last days. A guy at a gas station told me it would hit 97 degrees F (36 degrees C) today with high humidity and that this weather would stay for the coming days. My phone also decided that is was warm and decided to stop working, so I couldn't really take that much pictures today.

In Danville I stopped at Danville Bike and Footwear to meet Ernt, the shop owner. We talked a bit and Ernst told me he had done the Trans America Trail twice already, the first time he did it was the second time it was ever ridden back in 1977. He gave me some creme for my sore but and also checked my bottom bracket, since it was making noises. Apparently there was some play in the bearing cups and in the pedals, which he fixed. I decided to treat myself to a nice club sandwich for lunch as it was still hot outside.

After lunch I set out again along a highway with wide shoulders. The views weren't extremely exciting, but progress was very good and the slight headwind was actually welcome as it provided some cooling. I finally reached the Lincoln Homestead State Park, which is where Abraham Lincoln lived part of it's live and set up camp there for the night. The butt creme seems to work pretty good as the pain is much less than the last few days... yay!







No comments:

Post a Comment