Plaatje

Plaatje

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Day 9: Christiansburg, VA (rest day)

Today was a rest day in Christiansburg, since I have been on the bike for the last 5 days and especially because I wanted to give my knee some rest. What I forgot to mention last post is that by reaching Christiansburg I finished the 1st out of 12 sections of the complete Trans America Trail! 
After sleeping in I took the chance to do the laundry of the last 5 days. After that I visited the local library to browse the internet to mainly check on possible places to stay for the next section on WarmShowers. WarmShowers is a community of people that allow fellow cyclists to stay over at their place for the night, similar to couch surfing but then only for and by long-distance cyclists. I found a few interesting addresses for the coming section.

A thing that I would like to change for the coming sections is the camping locations. The 1st section I almost only stayed on private campgrounds. These are not ideal since they are relatively expensive for what they offer and restrict you in where you can stop at the end of the day. For some reason I'm not yet fully comfortable with wild camping here in the US, whereas in Europe I was totally fine with it (have the idea that Americans tend to be rather protective about their own property). For the next section I'm hoping to use some of the other (not private campground) lodging options on the maps, maybe in combination with WarmShowers and wild camping.

Talking about showers, their were a few heavy showers here today. The forecast for tomorrow is the same as for today, so that will probably be the first day of cycling in the rain for me. Furthermore I'm meeting a guy named Colton tomorrow morning. Colton is doing the Trans America Trail in combination with the Western Express (the route I I initially wanted to do) and started roughly the same time as me and plans to do about the same daily mileage. We were already in contact before this trip and tried to meet in Charlottesville, but I passed there half a day earlier than him. Tomorrow we set out together and lets see how long we can ride together...

No comments:

Post a Comment