Plaatje

Plaatje

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Day 22: Chester, IL - Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park, MO (40/150)

And then the rain came... Guess I knew I was gonna run out of luck at some point.
In the morning everything was still fine and sunny. In Chester I spotted the Popeye statue before crossing the bridge over the Mississippi river into the state Missouri, where again the cycling route signs popped up. 

Just before lunch I reached the town Farmington where I visited the library, where I learned that the Dutch soccer team had won again! (against Chile this time). I also had a nice burger with fries in a diner, since after all I'm shouldn't forget I'm in the US.

During lunch it had started raining but soon after setting out it stopped. I did spend more than half an hour in Farmington trying to circumvent a closed road. As I'm approaching the Ozark mountains it unfortunately also means there is an increasing number of dogs running around. I used the dog spray twice today and it works very well. Still, especially when riding on busy roads these situations are very tricky.

The skies were dark all afternoon but it didn't start raining until something like 5pm. But when it did start it really poured! I tried to take shelter under a tree, which only helped at first. After the worst was over I set out again, but it never totally stopped raining. The shower at the campground was heavenly! Luckily they also have a washer and dryer here, so that at least my clothes will be clean and dry tomorrow. I'm about to turn in and the rain still hasn't stopped raining, hopefully tomorrow morning I'll have more luck. My day was saved when a neighbor who was having dinner with her kids in the same shelter as me offered me some smoores for dessert, they are awesome!

1 comment:

  1. If it was raining cats and dogs, you probably could've used some cat spray too right? Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete