Plaatje

Plaatje

Friday, June 13, 2014

Day 11: Rural Retreat, VA - Rosedale, VA (16/150)

This morning I set out with Colton early at 8 PM. After some hours of cycling together, Colton mentioned that he preferred to continue by himself so we went our separate ways.
The route today would lead me over the last high ridges of the Appalachians.During the morning I cycled through Mount Rogers National Recreation. The route was beautiful: trees all around, typically a creek running along the route and gentle grades. The highest point thus far (and probably untill Colorado) was before lunch at 3724ft. On the hill leading up to the highest point I was again attacked by an angry dog. This particular dog was mainly interested in my rear panier and bit in one of them and only let go after some 10 seconds. After getting rid of the dog I realized I was lucky that it preferred my paniers over my ankles! I decided that I was going to need some kind of dog repellent. Luckily the next town, Damascus, is a so called trail village as it is on the intersection of the the Trans America Trail, the Appalachian trail and the Virginia Creeper Trail (other hiking trail). Therefore even though it is a very small town it has a hiking and cycling store. In the store they helped me to a can of HALT!, which is a kind of dog pepper spray. I also met Dave, who I passed a few days ago, just outside the shop.
After lunch the route took me through some farmlands leading up to the biggest climb thus far, 1500ft up with some 9-10% grade. Approaching the climb the road signs already indicated the upcoming steep grades. Just before the climb I stopped at a library to post yesterdays entry. The lady from the library was so friendly to give me a cold coke, awesome! The first part of the climb went ok, but after that it started raining heavily, so I stopped and took some shelter below a tree. After the rain stopped I set out again. After another stop for rain I reached the top and started my descent towards my place to stay for the night.
Tonight I'm staying at a church hostel, which is basically a church building left unlocked for passing cyclists with a stuffed fridge and everything! They even had a (cold) outdoor shower. When I arrived there was already a couple there, who are even bringing their dog along on their bike. Later on Dave and two other solo cyclists joined. It was really fun to exchange experiences and learn how others are tackling the everyday challenges of long distance cycling. Before dinner I had a go at fixing my rear panier by sowing the holes shut and duct taping the inside. Looks acceptable for now, though I do not expect it to be as waterproof as it was :(

2 comments:

  1. Die hond, dat is nu vrijdag de 13e. Wat heb jij trouwens steeds met churches/kerken? Ik dacht dat jij daar een beetje van af was? Succes met alles en vele groetjes, Riek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Als krantenbezorger was een ouderwetse fietspomp altijd goed tegen honden.. het uitschuiven was vaak eng genoeg, en anders kon je er altijd nog mee gaan slaan :p

    ReplyDelete