Plaatje

Plaatje

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Day 21: Tunnel Hill, IL - Chester, IL (37/150)

After the long ride of yesterday I wasn't sure if I was gonna ride a full day again or have an easy day. I decided to see how things went and didn't really plan for a destination for today. After Ann prepared some eggs and bacon for me I set out. Ann told me about a nice little restaurant, Delaneys, that welcomes cyclists in Goreville. Even though I only did 10 miles, I decided to go for an early morning coffee and pie there. I was indeed welcomed warmly. The tables were all covered with cyclist photos and when I tried to pay they stated that the coffee and pie was free for passing cyclists, awesome! They off course did take my picture to put on their table :)

In Carbondale, the next town, I wanted to visit the university library, hoping it would be open on sunday. When riding into Carbondale I was joined by Jan, a local cyclist. We talked during riding and after she learned I was looking for the library she guided me there. She even left her number in case I might need it in an emergency. Unfortunately the library only opened at 1pm, so I decided not to wait for that and continue.

The town after that, Murphysboro, already marked the end of the 3rd (out of 12) section of the route. I had a simple lunch there, but as the town itself looked rather bleak and I was feeling ok, I decided to push on to Chester, which is next to the Mississippi river. Afternoon riding was dominated by dark clouds all over, keeping the temperatures down and eventually only hitting me with a very little bit of rain.

Tonight I'm staying in a little shack with bunk beds next to the Chester Eagles (fraternal order of Eagles). Its very basic, but is all I need and has a shower and restroom across the parking lot. Inside I enjoyed some (normally cheesy, small size) pizza and some beers whilst whatching the US - Portugal soccer match (2-2). I had half a mind to sleep in tomorrow and watch Netherlands - Chile here, but decided against it... starting from the semi finals I DO plan to start watching :)

3 comments:

  1. Goed bezig Wouter! Nooit geweten dat Amerikanen zo vriendelijk en gastvrij zijn. Mijn kennis van Amerika gaat met sprongen vooruit. Groetjes, Riek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Het blijven prachtige avonturen. Ook erg leuk geschreven. Veel plezier met de volgende tochten.
    Wouter

    ReplyDelete