Plaatje

Plaatje

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Day 6: Palmyra, VA - Greenwood, VA (6/150)

Yesterday Steve told me that I could use the peanut butter in the fridge in the office, as apparently it has lots of protein in it. So I decided to try a PB&J sandwich (peanut butter and jelly). Conclusion: these are absolutely great! Calory bombs to the max (wouldn't recommend then when not cycling every day) and contain all you need during the day: proteins, sugars, carbs, fats. I think I'll be having these for breakfast and lunch from now on :)

After breakfast I was greeted by Steve who gave me some supplies for along the road: fresh fruit, trail mix (m&m's,  nuts and raisins) and cooled sports drink. He also made me sign a book with all the cyclists that passed his church. I set off after Steve said a little prayer for me.

Today I got joined twice by a happy dog during cycling, yay! First stop today was Charlottesville. Yesterday I realized that I did not bring a puncture repair kit, so I decided to try and buy one here. Should not be necessary as I'm bringing 2 spare tubes, but still. The first bike shop I found was closed down, but I was more lucky at the second, still it took me more than an hour in total.

After Charlottesville the Appalachian Mountains soon came into view and the road started going up and down some more. Some fatigue of the last two days in combination with the heat caused my legs not to work as I wanted them, hence progress was slow. At White Hall I got some groceries at a small store. The man behind the counter told me lots of stories about passing cyclists and made me sign a book that every passing cyclist signs.

After visiting the store I was not paying too much attention as I took a wrong turn. Heat and fatigue are apparently not so good for your concentration :p Unfortunately I only found this out after some 12 miles, so in the end I did almost 25 additional miles including lots of steep climbs for nothing.

Finally being on the same spot again I tried to squeeze in some more miles to at least make some progress today. I cycled 75 miles today, so effectively only 50 miles progress. Hopefully tomorrow will be better... I eventually planned to stay in the Bike House in Afton, where a lot of cross country cyclists stay. Unfortunately I got no response when calling them, so I'm staying at a nearby campsite for almost 30 bucks for a single night :(

No comments:

Post a Comment