Plaatje

Plaatje

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Day 30: Nickerson, KS - Bazine, KS (64/150)

Luckily I decided that yesterday would be a small ride and today a large one, as the weather was super today. The morning was nice and cool with almost no wind. The first 60 miles of the route were without services, so I was packed with water and supplies and due to the weather finished this bit already around noon.
After lunch at a Subway the northwest wind had picked up, so the 50 miles in the afternoon were much harder, but still far easier than yesterday, also because the temperatures remained at a very comfortable mid 80's. As I felt like I should do something cultural for a change, I decided to pay a short visit to Fort Larned, which is a 150 year old fort, used to protect the Santa Fe Trail trade route.
The scenery is basically the same as yesterday, fields of cattle, corn and grain. There are more and more oil fields the further I ride, including oil smells (renewables smell soooo much better!) In addition the landscape is turning from mainly green corn fields to mainly brown grain fields, giving the landscape a much more arid look. Each town during the afternoon therefore had huge grain storage facilities.
Tonight I'm staying at Elaine's Bed and Breakfast Bicycle Oasis in Bazine. This is just passer the small town Alexander, which marked the end of the 5th section out of 12 of the route. Upon arrival Elaine let me in and after a nice and refreshing shower she prepared a nice and healthy dinner for me accompanied by lots of stories about other cyclists and pictures of her (grand)children and dogs. Super to not have to worry about dinner (and breakfast tomorrow) for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment