Plaatje

Plaatje

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Day 50: Grand Teton National Park, WY - West Yellowstone, MT (104/150)

During the night it had started raining and after getting up it still rained lightly,meaning that I had to pack my tent and gear wet. After setting out the skies uckily soon cleared. Soon after starting I left the Grand Teton National Park and entered Yellowstone National Park. The lady at the entrance warned me about the narrow shoulders and heavy recreational traffic up ahead... unfortunately that appeared to be very true. First thing on the route in the park was another climb over the continental divide. continental divide.

As the route wound further through the park I crossed the continental divide two more times. The last time there was unfortunately no marker to make a pict of. Up there I met a group of four Canadian touring cyclists. They had driven up from Canada and where touring the Grand Teton and Yellowstone parks. We rode together to the next place on route, the Old Faithful geyser. The thing that immediately struck us there is the huge amount of (mostly Asian) tourists there. As we waited for the geyser to erupt / go off / do its thing we discussed what a geyser actually is and how it works... without really getting to a conclusion. The eruption itself was pretty cool and definitely worth the wait! After that we had lunch together after which they were gonna do a hike there and I continued on the route.

I spent quite some time at Old Faithful so needed to get pedalling to get to West Yellowstone not too late. Dark clouds loomed on the horizon, so I was hoping to avoid these. Riding through the different geyser basins, the geothermal activity was evident and cool to see. But as I was gonna do a sightseeing bus tour tomorrow, I didn't stop too much to watch in more detail or take pictures.

I couldn't avoid the thunderstorms, so I was caught in the middle of one and got soaked. After the worst was done I put on some dry cold weather cycling clothes to be at least a bit warm the final miles. At the (ridiculously expensive) Rustic Wagon campground I could warm up under a nice warm shower and throw all my wet clothes in the laundry machine... very, very nice at that moment! Unfortunately the WiFi at both the campground and the restaurant where I went didn't work so the planning of the next section has to wait till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment