Plaatje

Plaatje

Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 35: Royal Gorge, CO - Hartsel CO (80/150)

Current Creek Pass, elevation 9,404 ft: check! Today would be the first of three days with a lot of climbing. Today would be the day with the lowest elevation, but the most feet of climbing. The really high passes will come tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.

Directly after leaving the campground I took a short detour to the Royal Gorge bridge, something the guy from the campground advised me to do. The view there was indeed astonishing! After the detour I picked up the route, which steadily climbed its way up. About halfway I had lunch in the small town Guffrey. 

During lunch it started raining shortly but heavily. As I set out the rain had stopped, but scattered thunderstorms would cover the skies all afternoon. Luckily I again managed to miss all heavy showers and only got a few drops of rain :). At the Currant Creek Pass, I was treated by a spectacular view, since from here the higher, snow topped parts of the Rockies could be seen. From there the route generally descended into a sort of plain. On this plain I reached the town Hartsel, where I'm basically staying on a patch of grass that nobody is really using, so they let cyclists camp here.

2 comments:

  1. Geweldig! Ik dacht dat de Rockies "doen" afzien was, maar het is puur genieten. Dan kun je ook wel wat extra kilometers maken. Groetjes, Riek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ik zie dat de route naar Boulder door Nederland komt, hoe bizar. Doe ze de groeten daar.

    ReplyDelete