Plaatje

Plaatje

Friday, July 18, 2014

Day 47: Muddy Gap, WY - Lander, WY (95/150)

Today was supposed to be a hot day, so again I started early, to get in as many as miles as possible before noon. Riding through the rolling and desolate desert like landscape, the going was not as fast yesterday. Reason for this was a a light headwind and slightly ascending terrain. After some 40 miles I stopped at a rest station where I could get some cold water and sit in the shade to eat some bagels, very welcome!
After the rest area there was a bit more going up and after that a long and relatively steep descent. The landscape during the descent was awesome; Arid, hilly terrain with hills in all colors imaginable: black, grey white, yellow, pink, red... you name it! During the descent I also met the last guy racing in the Transam Race. His pace was slower than mine, but he didn't seem to mind at all.

After some more climbing and descending through these fabulous hills, I reached Lander, the destination for today and only 'big' for a long, long way. First thing to do here was to find a library and start reserving things for my visit to Yellowstone National Park, which I should reach in three days. Opposed to most places I pass this is actually a big tourist attraction and hence I tried to reserve things like campground and bus tours.
In Lander I'm staying in the city park, which is perfectly laid out for camping... I'm also not the only camper here. I can't even remember how long it has been since I pitched my tent on a nicely mowed lawn. At the pool I could use the showers, which were very refreshing, since the last shower was already three days ago. My cycling clothes are also washed, so I'm as fresh as I can be to hit the road again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment