Plaatje

Plaatje

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Day 45: Walden, CO - Saratoga, WY (89/150)

In order to avoid the afternoon wind and chance of thunderstorms, I tried to hit the road early this morning. During breakfast at the gas station I had a short chat with a couple who were cycling eastbound and were brave enough to camp in the park last night... they seemed mostly wet and cold.

After some 20 miles of riding I entered the state boundary into Wyoming. Not long after I ran into a lady with her car parked along the road. She was supporting her husband, who was doing the Colorado 1200, a three day endurance bike ride over 1200 miles. She was so kind to offer me water with ice and fresh fruit!

The weather was cloudy already in the morning and remarkably cool. The leg and arm pieces stayed on the entire day! Late in the morning the wind already started to pick up and rainstorms started to form. Luckily I managed to escape the rainstorms. I had a break in Riverside, the only town on the route today, which consisted of a bar, cafe and grocery store.

During the afternoon the wind started picking up, but luckily it also got partly sunny. The landscape was similar to yesterday's, maybe a bit more rolling, so not much to tell there. I did think I saw a bald eagle passing by, but as it was far off I couldn't tell for sure. It is on my list of animals I want to see during this trip.  Others are: elk (bull), moose (bull), black bear (brown or grizzly would be even nicer... from a safe distance off course) and whales.

As I started early I arrived at the city campground at Saratoga lake already at 2pm, so I had some time to chill and enjoy the view over the lake. The wind got quite strong during the afternoon, so I was happy I was done early! At the lake I did spot some pelicans and a fish eagle, which was quite cool (even though they aren't on the list).

No comments:

Post a Comment