Plaatje

Plaatje

Friday, July 4, 2014

Day 33: Haswell, CO - Pueblo, CO (77/150)

After some 20 miles of riding today the silhouettes of the Rockies appeared on the horizon. The riding itself was in long stretches as today is the 4th of July and the convenience stores in the small towns were all closed. Today was warm and sunny with temps in the low 90's and there was a nasty headwind, so the riding was tough. Basically it was one stretch until lunch and one after. This also meant some planning w.r.t. food and water, which worked out in the end. At the lunch stop I again ran into some riders of the Bike the US for MS group.

The landscape is similarly awesome as yesterday, with the addition of the mountains in the background. After lunch the route led through the valley of the Arkansas river. The valley is flanked by some nice looking sand hills. The final miles into Pueblo showed some nasty thunderstorms, but luckily they appeared to be just behind the city in the mountains.

I decided to stay in a hotel today, since this would allow me to get some sleep despite all 4th of July silliness and allow me to go into the city with all my stuff locked away. After checking in, showering and taking a nap, I had dinner with some beers at the Shamrock (Irish pub). Then I went to have a look at the Riverwalk, where the main celebration and fireworks would be. After listening to some awefull music I enjoyed the fireworks show and returned to the hotel to turn in early to be able to watch the quarter final of the Dutch soccer team tomorrow during lunch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment