Plaatje

Plaatje

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 48: Lander, WY - Dubois, WY (98/150)

Soon after setting out today I entered the Wind River Indian Reservation. The headwind was already slightly there in the morning and started picking up halfway the morning. In addition I had to climb again what I descended yesterday, so the going was slow. Before noon I again reached a rest area for some well deserved lunch and shade.

During the afternoon the landscape changed to colorful, steep ridges... very pretty! Unfortunately the wind also continued to pick up. In combination with the slight climbing, the speed reduced to crawling speed. Looking at the map, I could have expected the wind here: I was rising through the Wind River, along the Windy Ridge, with in the distance the peak of Windy Mountain :p Later I heard over the weather radio that winds today were 15-20 mph with 30 mph gusts.

I don't know how, but eventually I reached Dubois and went to the campground. At the (ridiculously expensive) campground I was able to confirm the reservation for the (even more expensive) campground next to Yellowstone National Park. The beer ans burger in town helped the recovery of the hardest day so far. Tomorrow I plan to start even earlier to evade the wind some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment