Plaatje

Plaatje

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Day 49: Dubois, WY - Grand Teton National Park, WY (101/150)

First thing on the schedule was Togwotee Pass and thereby cross the continental divide once more. The headwind was already present during the morning, but luckily got less during the climb. Halfway the climb I stopped for some water and met Romain, a Canadian who is riding the entire Americas from Canada to Patagonia. He also stayed in Dubois last night, but in the city park. If I'd known that I would have stayed there as well, bummer!

During the climb I overtook Romain and later also two girl about my age and a guy who later appeared to be their father. On the top of the pass I took a small gravel road to a picknick area overlooking a beautiful lake. When I got back to the pass Romain and the girls with their dad just arrived. We took some pictures for and of each other and then rode together to the continental divide, which was only a mile or so further. There we spent some time chilling along the road and exchanging stories. The two girls are riding across south to north starting from Texas and thereby ride via the TransAm from Pueblo to Missoula. Their father only joined them far a few weeks. After some time it was time to say goodbye and go on as I had still some miles to cover.
During the descent the headwind picked up again, though not nearly as bad as yesterday. After some 5 miles of descend the majestic Grand Teton range came into view, which offered a nice background all throughout the descent. Towards the end of the descent I entered the Grand Teton National Park. Here I was shielded from the wind mostly by all the trees and riding was good again :)

At Colter Bay I could stop at the large campground there or ride some 8 miles more to a smaller and supposedly prettier campground. At the visitor center I checked if the next campground would be full when I got their, but the guy didn't think so. Here I also found out that I maxed out my credit card that's definitely a first. Maybe a bit less eating out, motels and expensive campgrounds the coming time... Next I rode the extra miles to Lizard Creek Campground. Here I found a nice spot, including bear locker large enough to fit all my paniers, and the best part was it cost only 5 bucks. There were no showers though, but a refreshing swin in the lake worked just as well. During the evening I built a small campfire and enjoyed the utter peacefulness of this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment