Plaatje

Plaatje

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 31: Bazine, KS - Leoti, KS (68/150)

After a healthy breakfast and saying goodbye to Elaine and Dan I set out for an early morning start. The weather was cloudy with some drops of rain here and there, but without any wind whatsoever. In the afternoon it became sunny with only a slight wind resulting in a perfect day for cycling. 

Due to the very good progress during the morning and early afternoon I had some time to spend in the library to plan my detour towards Boulder, where I'm visiting a Dutch friend. My initial plan was to follow the route to Pueblo and from there cut almost straight to Boulder along the foot of the Rocky Mountains. However, since progress is so good until now and my friend is only back in about a week, I have some extra days to spend. So I decided to follow the route much further into the Rocky Mountains over Hoosier Pass towards Fresco and then take Loveland pass to get to Boulder. This means that I get to ride much, much more miles and days in the mountains, something I'm looking forward to very, very much !

The route today followed a single straight road, which I will be following all day :) The landscape is not much different than yesterday, i.e. flat. I did pass a wind farm (no nasty smells at all !) near the small town Modoc. It was hard to see from a distance, but I don't think they were Siemens turbines, but seeing them did make me happy!

Tonight I'm staying with WarmShowers hosts Sarah and Jason in Leoti. Even though they were not home when I arrived, Sarah gave me instructions to their house and told me to make myself at home. When they arrived Sarah immediately offered me a cool beer and after a refreshing shower Jason cooked us some lovely burritos. Sarah and Jason are in the middle of their ongoing home renovation, but nonetheless they had no problem hosting me. They gave me a floor space on the second floor for my air mattress and sleeping bag, which should be more than sufficient for a good night's sleep.







No comments:

Post a Comment