Plaatje

Plaatje

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Day 53: Ennis, MT - Twin Bridges, MT (107/150)

Today started with a relatively steep climb of some 2000 ft out of the Madison River valley. As the morning was sunny, but cool the climb was fairly easy. After part of the descent I passed through the restored historic mining towns Virginia City and Nevada City. Descending further into the valley of the Beaverhead River, the headwind started picking up... seriously!

As I reached Twin Bridges the wind had picked up so strong that the going was extremely slow and hard. Here I stopped at the Bike House, a cyclist only lodging in the city park. Yesterday I met a guy who left his logbook here and asked me to ship it to a friend of his. Luckily I found his book and was able to ship it to him.

As I had lunch in the park, next to the bike house, I turned on the weather radio. Current winds today were 25 mph with 37 mph gusts, possibly with gusts up to 40 mph later in the afternoon. As tomorrow the wind would be less and I had an awesome bike house here (with sofa to crash on, shower and restroom) I decided to call it a day here. Towards the end of the afternoon the winds however calmed instead of picked up... that's what you'll always see :p Tomorrow I'll just get up early to make as many miles in the calm morning as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment